You, little child, with your shining eyes and dimpled cheeks.
You can lead us along the pathway to what everyone seeks.
We blundering grownups need in our lives the virtues that
You have in yours, joy, enthusiasm and love affectionate.
Curiosity that finds adventure in simple things; the mystery
Of billowy clouds, snowflakes, and stars, amazing history.
Tolerance that forgets differences as quickly as your young
Quarrels are spent, Waking the next day with thoughts flung.
Children love unconditionally, not like adults so often do
With strings attached, depending on performances new.
See, how we can learn from children, so trusting, so sweet.
Not scared or threatened by each of our friends they meet.
They listen to stores of Jesus and learn to love Him unknown,
Until they come to an age where they can make Him their own.
It is often us that disillusions them to accept their Saviour.
For we tell them of a tooth fairy who gives them a favour.
Tells a further lie of a Santa that is going to actually fly by
And pile up gifts under the tree, but we make sure they try
To be very good so that they will get their wishes granted.
And they never thought of dying, life was so enchanted.
Then they become an adult and they remember the lies we told.
And wonder about the Christ child, thinking it a story bold.,
A promise of a Saviour that will forgive all their childish sin,
Open their heart’s door and pray to ask Him to live within.
Believing at last they can have someone real to hold onto.
When things are hard, and life seems difficult to live through.
When stories at church seem vague, and hard to understand.
That is when the older youth needs a gentle, guiding hand.
When explanations need to be truthful, ones they can know
Not a figment of the imagination a living sacrifice to show
Them the way to Eternity Life, not another imaginary glow.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 ~ When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
- Ecclesiastes 12:1 ~ Remember now your creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come, and the years draw near when you say, I have no pleasure in them.
- Proverbs 18:9 ~ My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother. For they will be graceful ornaments on your head and chains about your neck.
- Psalm 119:9 ~ “How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your Word.
- John 3:3 ~ Jesus answered and said to him. Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- Romans 10:17 ~ “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.