Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Own Way

Just once in a while I want things all my own way.
And then I rebel against what the Spirit has to say.
I begin try to rationalize just what I am trying to do,
I endeavor to open doors that God has closed too!

Disaster strikes when God then allows me my way.
I finally stop to listen to what the Spirit has to say.
I’ve walked this road so often, wanting my own will.
You would think I would learn to stop and be still.

God’s leading is obvious when you walk close to Him.
It is when I rebel that my way walks right into sin.
Listening is an action word telling me to wait and pray.
Not to move ahead until I know what Jesus has to say.

At times His answer takes too long and I run ahead myself.
Then I tend to ignore God’s word and leave it on the shelf.
It is not until I reach rock bottom that I cry out to Him.
"Dear Father please help me for I find I’m locked in sin!"

I ignore the Spirit’s voice as He’s called "come this way".
I run ahead and ruin things, not caring what He has to say.
"Forgive me Father, can we wipe my slate clean again?
Every time I try to rule my life, it always ends in pain.

This schoolroom is familiar, the one of "My Own Way".
The lessons are so costly for its with my growth I pay."
Like a stubborn goat that keeps banging against a wall
I refuse to surrender myself to Him until I take a fall!

I want to be used of Him and not such an impatient child.
Why can’t I learn to be more gentle, meek and even mild?
My own way has always lead to such a disastrous walk
Once I rebel against you, I neglect to listen to You talk.

Oh Lord, if only your Spirit could jolt my point of view
Point me in the right direction, point me right to YOU!"

No comments: